Potato & Bacon Soup
Yield: 12 Servings
12 oz. Bacon or (1 package)
2 C. Spanish Onion (diced)
6 C. Vegetable Stock
4 C. Idaho Potatoes (1/2 inch cubes)
2/3 C. Butter (unsalted)
3/4 C. All Purpose Flour
1 Qt. Whole Milk
1 C. Sour cream
2 C. Cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 C. Green Onion (sliced)
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon till crispy. Drain on paper towels. Crumble the bacon with your hands after it has cooled. Save the drippings & fat left over from bacon, & set aside.
2. In a large pot, use bacon drippings to saute the onions. cook on high heat until onions become opaque.
3. add the vegetable stock & potatoes, bring to a boil & lower heat to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender.
4. Using the skillet the bacon was cooked in, melt butter & add the flour, whisking to completely mix together. Cook for one minute to fully combine butter & flour.
5. add 2 cups milk to the flour & butter mixture & mix completely until smooth. Add the milk mixture to the potato & vegetable stock to thicken.
6. add remaining milk to pot & continue to stir as it thickens to ensure soup does not burn. Lower heat to medium low.
7. add the sour cream, cheddar cheese, & half the green onion, & bacon saving some for garnish.
8. season soup with salt & pepper to your taste, & serve in bowls with a little sprinkle of the remaining bacon on top.